Thursday, May 3, 2007

mom's wisdom

Since my mother was diagnosed with cancer, our phone calls have become much more frequent. Since she has retired, often we email two or three times a day. With this increased communication, I have found that her pearls of wisdom often land in my lap. Today I was telling her about my day. Her comment follows:

“Sounds like you are busy. You are the only one who has control over that you know. As long as it is fun stuff, being busy is not all bad.”

I don’t know if I necessarily agree that being busy isn’t all bad…ok, so maybe it isn’t all bad, but often I feel like the Lord is telling me to slow down. Yesterday as I was driving to work, I felt the Lord nudge me and say, “Slow down. Look around. See all of these things? I want you to write about them.” When my life goes at warp speed, I don’t have time to drink in the world around me. And, when I’m not drinking it in, I’m certainly not writing.

It’s funny to me that when I was younger I would get so annoyed when my parents would “spout their wisdom.” Now, I treasure their insight so much, I blog about it. How life changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment