Tuesday, February 17, 2009

hot dogs and fridays

"In my own life, honoring the First Commandment, 'I am Yahweh your God: you shall have no gods except me,' has meant repudiating the god of fear and wrath handed on to me by preachers, teachers and church authorities in my youth, repudiating the strange god who sees all non-Christians as good-for-nothings, who consigns all heathens to hell, who has given any one denomination a bonded franchise for salvation, who rubs his hands together with malicious glee and sends a Catholic to hell because he ate a hot dog on Friday, April 27, 1949." - Brennan Manning, The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus

it is interesting to me how some of our 'fence-laws' become the places where we draw the lines regarding who is the real Christian.

Lord, help me to leave the "line-drawing" up to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment