Tuesday, March 17, 2009

i'm not sure i can do that

She stared at the object of her angst. Fear ripped through her as the scenes from last fall played through her mind. It seemed just a few days had passed, but in reality the snow had come and gone since then. Her black curls swam in the air as the spring breeze made its presence known. Her daddy's hand gently guided her as she took a few steps closer to her purple bike which was also scarred from the accident. Just below the handlebars a scratch drew attention to itself disclosing the shiny metal that was just beneath the surface. With much coaxing, she climbed on the bike believing that the inevitable was about to take place. Tears began to collect in her eyes and with all her might she tried to push them away. Her tight grip on her daddy's hand reduced the blood flow to his fingertips.

"Honey, you have to let go..." a voice whispered in her ear.
"I'm not sure I can do that," she said as hot tears streamed down her face.
The voice repeated, "Honey, you have to let go."
"What if I fall again," she said.
"I'll be here to pick you up," said her father.
"That's not good enough, Daddy. I want you to hold onto me so that I don't fall again!"
"Oh, my beloved daughter," he said with tears in his eyes, "I'm not sure I can do that..."

No comments:

Post a Comment