Tuesday, March 4, 2008

no good thing

No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.

O Lord of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you.

-Psalm 85:11b-12

If I have been made righteous by the blood of Jesus and if the claim made in Psalm 85 is true, then no good thing has ever been withheld from me. I think my childish temper tantrums illustrate that I feel differently. I guess that’s why the trust piece must follow. Perhaps what I believe to be “good” isn’t really good and what God believes to be “good” truly is good. And, if I am certain of His character - that He is good, merciful, gracious, loving, faithful, trustworthy, etc. - then I can be certain that when our definitions of good don’t match, that it is my definition that is flawed even though I feel quite the opposite. And, when I come to terms with this, the reality is that whatsoever situation I am in, there I am content, because I can be quite sure that nothing good has been withheld from me and thus, that the circumstances I find myself in are indeed good. And, in fact, better than those that I would arrange for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment